Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Week in the Life...

Hola compadres! Things are going great here at Snow Mountain Ranch. We're finally getting into the swing of the normal life here at STP, and I'm loving it. Let's take a journey down the path of a normal week for Kolten of the Rockies:
-Monday and Thursday from around 9:00am to 3:00pm are reserved for team leader training. We do things like Bible study, training on 1-on-1 meetings, lessons in leadership, times where guys and girls split up and talk about stuff, and other things like that. Bruce and Rosie, (who are in their 70s), lead the Bible study with the Navstaff people. The Navstaff lead it for the team leaders, and the team leaders lead it with the team members. So, overall, it's just one big chain of wisdom :). I put in 5-7 hours on my own in the Bible study each week, and have around 5 hours of actually doing it with people. It's probably the best part-time job ever! I also have to memorize at least 3 passages of scripture each week, which turns into at least 5. It's difficult, but it's something I'm working on while I'm down here.
-I meet 1-on-1 with each of the guys on my team each week, as well as Clint. Clint is the Navstaff guy from the University of New Mexico. He's awesome and it's been awesome to have him speak into my life and my time here. My meetings with my team are great! We go over life stuff, how the week is going, and we usually have one tool we try to go through with them each week.
-Every other Saturday we have evangelism training. This last week was going over some tools to use, and it will eventually turn into actually going out to different towns and doing it. It's challenging and scary to a lot of people, but it's very helpful and very important for us to be doing as Christians.
-Oh yeah, I guess I also have a real job. Food service is pretty easy, and I only work 20 hours a week. I've been able to meet a lot of new people from all over world, talk to them, organize soccer games, and we've got a lot of them to come to Super Tuesdays. What's Super Tuesday? Well,...
-Tuesday night we have Super Tuesday. It's like a NavNight on campus, and everyone is invited. Navs, other employees, people just passing by, international guys, everyone. I am playing drums for that every other week (yeehaw!), and it's a lot of fun. Thursday night we have NavNights, which are just for the Navigator people. We bring speakers in and get to learn a lot, and it's awesome.
-Now for free time! We have a decent amount of it, and I'm learning to be disciplined in using it wisely. I try to get in some good time in the Word, as well as in prayer, every day. It's new for me, but I'm finding that it's very life-giving. I've been to a few campfires, gone to the Sperlings' hot tub, headed to some local mountain towns, hiked around, play in the gym, play mini golf, and I'm finding more and more things to do as I go along. They're all awesome, but I try not to do them too often. I have the rest of my life to camp and play putt putt, but I have about 6 more weeks of this kind of environment for spiritual growth. I don't feel forced into doing things when I know I should be doing things for God, and it gives me a lot to look forward to when I get time with my team doing fun things.
-...also in my free time I get one date night with Katie a week, as well as one or two walks together. It's awesome, so there's that.

Well, that's my life! Hope you guys like reading this. Thank you all for checking in!

Love,

Kolten

Passage of the week: Philippians 3

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I'm glad you are having fun and growing lots! And I'm glad you get date night with Katie. I think we are going to have to institute that at the Irby house.

    ReplyDelete